LYNABIO Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (HPMC)
- INCI:Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
- Cas No:9004-65-3
- Appearance:Off-white granular powder
- Solubility:Soluble in water
- Typical usage rate:0.5 – 3%
- Viscosity (2% solution, dry):7,500 – 14,000 mPa.s
- Ph:5.0 – 8.0
- Standard:GMP, Kosher, HALAL, ISO9001, HACCP
Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (HPMC) is multifunctional as a lubricant, foam enhancer and stabilizer, thickener, emulsion stabilizer and film former for hair and skin care products.
HPMC is especially useful in surfactant systems for its foam enhancing properties, helping with the formation of bubble structure, leading to richer, longer lasting lather. HPMC has a high tolerance for both salt and alcohol.
- Shampoo: improve the viscosity of shampoos, detergents, and detergents and the stability of bubbles.
- Toothpaste: improve the fluidity of toothpaste.
- The preferred method is to begin by heating approximately 1/3 of the total formulation water to 167°F (75°C) or higher. Add the HPMC to the vortex of agitated and heated water. Mix until fully dispersed. HMPC will not dissolve at this temperature. After complete dispersion, add the remaining water at room temperature or colder and continue mixing for 30 minutes after the total solution has cooled to 77°F. (25°C) or less. Proceed with the formulation.
- If heating is impossible, it is preferred to slurry the HPMC in a non-solvating media, such as glycerin or PEG, then add the slurry to the vortex of vigorously agitated water. Adding HPMC directly to cold water is not preferred, but if necessary, must be done very slowly under vigorous agitation. Expect longer mixing times for complete dissolution.