LYNABIO Skin Care Ingredients Olivem 1000 Emulsifying Wax
- INCI:Cetearyl Olivate (and) Sorbitan Olivate
- Cas No:348616-34-2, 223706-40-9
- Appearance:Off White Flakes
- Solubility:soluble in oil
- Typical usage rate:Low Viscosity (serums and lotions): 3 – 4% High Viscosity (lotions and creams): 7 – 8%
- Standard:GMP, Kosher, HALAL, ISO9001, HACCP
Olivem 1000 MB is a PEG-free non-ionic oil-in-water emulsifier developed from natural olive chemistry. It is an emulsifier and thickener which is compatible with a wide variety of cosmetic and active ingredients over a wide pH range (3 to 12). Safe and clinically tested to be hypoallergenic, it provides creams with an excellent spreadability with no soapy effect.
- Emulsifying Agent (O/W)
- Moisturizing Agent
- Plant Derived / Vegetal Based
- Day and night creams
- Face cleansers and deep hydrating emulsions
- Face and eye-contour creams
- Hypoallergenic tested creams
- Make-up: mascara, creamy foundations and eye-liners
- Sun-screen and after-sun products
- Baby care products
- Hair conditioning creams
- Self tanning products
Olivem 1000 has a melting temperature of ~70°C and should be added to the heated oil phase.
While an HLB value has been provided to us by the manufacturer, Olivem 1000’s chemistry does not really work based on the HLB system. Its emulsification mechanism is based on liquid crystal formation and therefore the HLB value is not so critical for this emulsifier.
Olivem 1000 has a maximum recommended oil-phase of ~25% (including the emulsifier). We find the stability of Olivem 1000 is improved with the addition of a water-phase thickener like our Xanthan Gum (Soft or Clear), used at about 0.2%.
Consider the use of a co-emulsifier such as Lotioncrafter GMS (Glyceryl Stearate) at 1 – 2% to further improve stability.
Fatty alcohols such as Behenyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol or Cetearyl Alcohol can be added to the oil phase for thickening if needed.