What is Hydrolyzed Keratin Powder?
Hydrolyzed keratin powder is a popular ingredient used in various hair care, skincare, and cosmetic formulations. It is derived from keratin, a protein that is naturally found in human hair, skin, and nails.
Hydrolyzed keratin powder is obtained through a process called hydrolysis, which breaks down the large keratin molecules into smaller fragments. This hydrolyzed form of keratin is easier to absorb and penetrate the hair and skin, delivering various benefits.
Here are some common benefits of hydrolyzed keratin powder:
- Hair strengthening and repair: Hydrolyzed keratin can help improve the strength, elasticity, and overall health of hair. It repairs damaged hair by filling in gaps along the hair shaft, reducing breakage, and promoting smoother, shinier hair.
- Protein supplementation: Hair consists mainly of keratin protein. Including hydrolyzed keratin in hair products can help replenish the protein content in the hair, especially in cases where hair has been chemically treated or subjected to heat styling.
- Moisture retention: Hydrolyzed keratin has the ability to hold moisture, helping to improve the hydration and moisture retention capacity of the hair and skin. This can result in softer, smoother, and more moisturized hair and skin.
- Anti-frizz and detangling: The film-forming properties of hydrolyzed keratin can help reduce frizz, enhance manageability, and make hair easier to comb and detangle.
- Protective barrier: Hydrolyzed keratin can form a protective barrier on the hair and skin, shielding them from environmental damage, UV radiation, and heat styling.
Here are some common applications of hydrolyzed keratin powder
- Hair care products: Hydrolyzed keratin is often added to shampoos, conditioners, hair masks, and leave-in treatments. It helps to strengthen and repair damaged hair, improve hair elasticity and manageability, and reduce breakage and frizz.
- Hair styling products: Hydrolyzed keratin can be found in hair styling products like serums, mousses, and hairsprays. It provides heat protection, enhances shine, and helps to maintain the style, while also improving the overall health of the hair.
- Hair treatments: Hydrolyzed keratin is sometimes used in professional hair treatments, such as keratin treatments or protein treatments. These treatments help to deeply nourish and repair the hair, making it smoother, shinier, and more manageable.
- Skincare products: Hydrolyzed keratin is also used in skincare products, primarily in moisturizers, serums, and creams. It helps to improve skin hydration, enhance elasticity, and promote a smoother and more youthful appearance.
- Nail care products: Hydrolyzed keratin can be found in certain nail care products, such as nail strengtheners or cuticle treatments. It can help to strengthen and protect the nails, keeping them healthy and less prone to breakage.